Associate Director, Marketing & Communications
The San Diego Museum of Art is seeking an Associate Director of Marketing and Communications who will report directly to the Deputy Director of External Affairs and will assist the Executive Director with key critical matters impacting the Museum. The Associate Director will lead the Marketing and Communications department and will be responsible for working with curatorial, education, development, and exhibition staff to ensure the successful promotion of the Museum and its activities. The Associate Director will work with his/her team to identify, strategize, develop, and implement a strong marketing program designed to reach existing and new audiences. The Associate Director will also be responsible for overseeing the relationship with external PR agency.
- Create a strategic vision for the marketing and communications department including annual and bi-annual advertising and marketing plans, and monthly reporting. Effectively coordinate and implement the Museum’s marketing and advertising initiatives with an emphasis on building upon success and learning from mistakes. Review and analyze the success of marketing initiatives through audience research, marketing research, and data analysis.
- Oversee the planning, editing, and implementation of all printed, online, social, PR, and advertising communications of the Museum.
- Create strong communications standards and brand consistency. Create, develop, and implement internal and external protocols and procedures to ensure timely and consistent communications.
- Lead the preparation, administration and oversight of the Marketing budget.
- Implement new media initiatives and engage new audiences. Initiate and participate in marketing initiatives for the Museum including cross-promotions with fellow cultural institutions and arts organizations.
- Oversee proactive efforts to develop community marketing partnerships intended to drive attendance and overall visibility.
- Oversee the relationship with external Public relations agency: managing the development of press releases, interviews and information requests and external approval for collateral materials.
- Supervise and manage a staff of three and several interns and volunteers.
- Manage Google AdWords, online ads, and all online website reporting.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree with emphasis in Marketing, Business, or Communications.
- Experience: 7 to 10 years in marketing role within professional or non-profit services environment. Strong leadership and consensus building skills; marketing management and strategic planning experience; a proven track record in developing and administering a marketing program.
- Skills: Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Interest in Art very important.
- Editorial experience very important.
- Strong knowledge of branding and brand development.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office and Windows-based computer applications.
- Must be a self-starter, highly organized, and able to work well with outside agencies, volunteers, and staff at all levels in the organization.
- Proven ability to achieve consensus among interdepartmental and external teams. Polished presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Must be deadline driven and possess project management and facilitation skills.
- Sitting for long period of time at a desk using a computer
- Carrying and lifting up to 25 lbs
- Some driving/traveling required, valid drivers license and insurance
- Some early morning, evenings, and weekends required for exhibition openings and special events
- Office space may be shared
- Noise level is quiet.
Position Closes: September 22, 2014
If interested, please submit cover letter, resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to:
The San Diego Museum of Art, Attention: SEA-911, Human Resources, P.O. Box 122107, San Diego, CA 92112.