The Museum first opened its doors in 1926. After 40 years of bringing art to San Diego, the Museum's flourishing permanent collection began to outgrow exhibition space. Plans went underway to double the size of the Museum and expand the vaults and galleries for the growing permanent collection and traveling exhibitions. In 1966, architects Robert Mosher and Roy Drew completed the creation of the West Wing—in addition to more gallery space, and the James S. Copley Auditorium, it is now home of the Research Library, Panama 66, Bibliotique, and the May S. Marcy Sculpture Court and Garden.
Join us as we celebrate 50 years of the West Wing with:
- Complimentary hors d'oeuvres from Panama 66 (cash bar)
- Docent-led tours of the Research Library and Sculpture Garden
- Live music from San Diego Music-award winner Gilbert Castellanos.
- Historical insights from Docent Manager and Museum historian Dr. James Grebl
- Historic photo montage documenting the expansion of the West Wing
Take a trip down memory lane and join us as we commemorate this historic architectural milestone.
And mark your calendar to see Louis Kahn: The Power of Architecture, opening November 5, 2016. This is the first major retrospective in two decades of Louis Kahn, the American architect whose monumental & visionary work is evident in one of his most important projects, the Salk Institute in La Jolla.
Featured Top Left: William T. Stephens, President of the Board of Trustees (1960-64); Warren Beach, Director the Fine Arts Gallery (now The San Diego Museum of Art); Robert Mosher, architect of the West Wing. Taken in 1961 with the model of the proposed West Wing during process of getting approval from the City of San Diego to build the wing. Image courtesy of the ©San Diego History Center.
This is a free event. Registration is not required. Cash bar.