Under the direction of the Supervisor and Building Superintendent, conducts maintenance on The San Diego Museum of Art’s building and ancillary properties
- Perform a wide variety of general maintenance and construction-related work using numerous hand and power tools
- General upkeep and repair of Museum galleries, assemblies, offices, hallways, mechanical equipment areas, storage areas, perimeter walkways, exterior areas, and leased properties not maintained by the City of San Diego or by contract
- Assist in setting and striking of furniture and equipment for special events
- Report any deficiencies to maintenance of equipment or facilities
- Cleaning and restocking of Museum restrooms
- Disposal of refuse and recyclable material from the Museum
- Other reasonable duties as assigned
- High School graduate, GED or equivalent work experience required.
- Prior experience maintaining commercial facilities, preferably in a museum/cultural institution or the hospitality industry
Basic knowledge of custodial/house-keeping and construction procedures; knowledge of basic computer and peripherals connectivity; knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel software application programs
- Ability to walk and or stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Ability to carry heavy furniture or equipment for short distances
- Must be able to use both arms and legs to lift, carry, push, pull, hold objects in both hands, throw objects overhand, suspend objects overhead
- Ability to work in confined/closed-in spaces, attics, tunnels, etc.
- Must be able to work in noisy, dusty, dirty, windy, hot, humid, and moist or wet working environments
- Manual dexterity to perform electrical and tele-data cable end connector installation and wire splicing
- Must be detail-oriented
- Ability to be culturally sensitive and respect diversity
- Ability to work a flexible schedule which may include night and weekend hours as needed for special events
- Good customer service and communication skills
- Communicate effectively in spoken and written English
- Strive for excellence in workmanship
- Basic electrical, plumbing and carpentry repair skills required
- Must be able to pass pre-employment and drug screening test
- Must be flexible with hours including weekends and evenings
- Must have a valid class 3 California driver license and a driving record in good standing
Normal vision, hearing, olfactory, and touch faculties are necessary to perform this job
- Work area is inside a fine art museum or adjacent exterior facilities including rooftops, stairwells, platforms, courtyards, gardens, parking lots, roads, lawns, landscaped areas, and sidewalks
- Climate controlled environment in most areas with light background noise in exhibition galleries and most office areas
- Exterior environment is governed by forces of nature
- Mechanical equipment room working environment can range from hot to cold, humid, windy, extremely noisy, dusty, odoriferous, and dim to brightly lit
Position open: March 6, 2014
All interested candidates must apply before: March 17, 2014
If interested, please submit cover letter, resume and salary requirements to:
email@example.com with MT in the subject line to be considered or submit to The San Diego Museum of Art, Attention: MT-1111, Human Resources, P.O. Box 122107, San Diego, CA 92112.
The San Diego Museum of Art is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in the hiring of personnel on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender, age, Vietnam Era Veteran or disable veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or any other protected status as provided by law.