Title: Museum Attendant II
Classification: Non-Exempt, Part Time (Approx. up to 20 hours a week)
Reports To: Manager, Operations
This is a part-time position providing general security for the museum related to the protection of art, and the safety and protection of staff and visitors. Museum Attendant II provide an active, visual presence in the museum galleries. Attendants interact with visitors on various levels including, visitor assistance, monitoring and controlling access to the museum and it’s Permanent Collection. In addition provides assistance and duties in support of Special Events activities in the Museum.
- Perform a wide variety of general duties in the Museum and supporting Events. Assist in setting and striking of furniture and equipment for special events.
- Report any deficiencies to maintenance of equipment or facilities.
- Provide excellent customer service to guests and staff while helping to ensure their safety and enjoyment while visiting the museum. Observe and assist visitors; correct or report problems as appropriate. Inform visitors of rules, regulations and proper conduct while in the museum.
- Observe artwork for changes of any kind; report problems to supervisor for immediate notification to registrar; report any building condition requiring attention to maintenance.
- Cooperate with Visitor Services, Membership, and Education to learn and convey museum information to enhance visitor’s museum experience.
- Maintain knowledge of current policies, procedures, and security system operation in order to correctly implement judgment and actions for protecting of art, security of facilities, and the safety and protection of museum staff and museum visitors
- Report emergencies and respond to calls for emergency assistance.
- Participate in training programs and support for emergency situations, including fire, Cal/OSHA, theft and vandalism. Assist with emergency situations and/or building evacuation
- Utilize communications equipment to maintain contact with security control.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School graduate, GED or equivalent work experience required.
- Prior experience, preferably in a museum/cultural institution or the hospitality industry
- Ability to walk and or stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Ability to carry heavy furniture or equipment for short distances
- Must be able to use both arms and legs to lift, carry, push, pull, hold objects in both hands, throw objects overhand, suspend objects overhead
- Must be able to work in noisy, dusty, dirty, windy, hot, humid, and moist or wet working environments
- Must be detail-oriented
- Ability to be culturally sensitive and respect diversity
- Ability to work a flexible schedule which may include night and weekend hours as needed for special events
- Approximately 95% of time is spent standing or moving around museum galleries and outdoor premises.
- Approximately 5% of time spent at the computer or other office work.
- Clear diction and acute hearing are necessary for effective communication with co-workers, the public, by telephone and in person.
- Corrected vision close to 20/20 is necessary to perform the job
- Good customer service and communication skills
- Communicate effectively in spoken and written English
- Strive for excellence in workmanship
- Must be able to pass pre-employment background check
- Must be flexible with hours including weekends and evenings
- Must have a valid class driver license and a driving record in good standing
- Work area is inside a fine art museum or adjacent exterior facilities including stairwells, , courtyards, gardens, parking lots, roads, lawns, landscaped areas, and sidewalks
- Climate controlled environment in most areas with light background noise in exhibition galleries and most office areas
- Exterior environment is governed by forces of nature
All interested candidates must apply before: May 25, 2018
Please note: Hiring Multiple Candidates for this position.
If interested, please submit cover letter, and resume to:
firstname.lastname@example.org with MT in the subject line to be considered or submit to The San Diego Museum of Art, Attention: MT-1111, Human Resources, P.O. Box 122107, San Diego, CA 92112.
San Diego Museum of Art is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in the hiring of personnel on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender, age, Vietnam Era Veteran or disabled veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or any other protected status as provided by law.