Department: Exhibitions & Collections
Reports to: Senior Registrar
Classification: Full-Time, Exempt
The Associate Registrar for Exhibitions is responsible for the coordination of exhibitions and loans to and from the Museum, as well as the care, movement and documentation of artworks from the permanent collection.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Schedule fine art packing and shipment for loans, couriers, and exhibitions; ensure loan and insurance documentation is in order; preparation of US Federal Indemnity applications.
- Prepare and monitor budgets for upcoming exhibitions.
- Courier artworks both nationally and internationally; act as an ambassador for the Museum.
- Willingness to work out of hours to receive art shipments and assist with installations.
- Follow Transportation Security Administration (TSA) requirements to maintain Museum certification.
- Perform condition reports and liaise with art conservators when required.
- Liaise with curators, appraisers and scholars to encourage research and ensure accessibility of the collection.
- Keep art storage vaults and installation areas clean and orderly for efficiency and the safety of personnel and art objects.
- Work with Museum art technicians to professionally handle, pack and unpack, transport, store, install, and de-install artwork of all types according to museum standards.
- Participate in periodic inventory checks and maintain accurate location records.
- In conjunction with the Senior Registrar, assist in preparation and management of annual budget.
- Follow AAM guidelines and Museum Policy to determine and implement best practices and ethics for Museum Registration.
- Periodically attend related professional conferences and/or workshops.
- Attend institutional meetings and perform other tasks as required.
- Bachelor’s degree with emphasis in art history, museum studies, or related field and minimum of three years museum registration experience.
- Candidate must be highly organized, detail-oriented, and possess strong communication skills, both oral and written.
- The Associate Registrar for Exhibitions must have the ability to work independently and as part of a team while meeting strict deadlines and working calmly under pressure.
- Experience with museum databases and art handling.
- 60-80% time spent sitting at the computer.
- Some carrying and lifting up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to use small tools.
- Office space shared.
- Noise level ranges from quiet to moderately noisy.
- Daily walking required to the Museum, which includes stairs.
DEADLINE: May 29, 2022
If interested, please submit cover letter and resume: firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to: The San Diego Museum of Art, Attention: Human Resources, P.O. Box 122107, San Diego, CA 92112.
The San Diego Museum of Art is committed to providing equal employment opportunity and will comply with all applicable federal, state, and local equal opportunity employment laws. The Museum prohibits discrimination against staff members or applicants on the basis of sex, race, religion, color, national origin, disability, protected medical condition, marital status, age, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, ancestry, military or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.