Position Title: Library Services and Literacy Programs Educator
Department: Education Department
Reports to: Manager of Art and Empathy Projects and Innovation
Classification: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
This position supervises daily operation of Museum Art Library encompassing 40,000 volumes, Special Collections, and Archives. Works with Education Managers to develop and facilitate art and literacy programs for children; and Library programs for teens, and adults that relate to the Museum’s collection and temporary exhibitions.
The ideal candidate should be energetic, proactive, innovative, and have a passion for books and art.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and facilitate library and literacy and art programs that complement the Museum collection and special exhibitions.
- Contract performance partners for art, library, and literacy programs.
- Develop and facilitate library services for Museum docents SDMA curatorial staff, Museum members, students, researchers, and the community.
- Supervise daily operations of Museum Art Library including: cataloging, conservation, storage, documentation, care and organization of the collections.
- Respond to requests from researchers, arts institutions, and auction houses regarding the Museum collection, and Museum Art Library holdings.
- Perform SDMA history research.
- Work closely with Manager of Art and Empathy Projects and Innovation on implementation of strategic plan for the library.
- Work closely with Education team to co-develop a unified programming schedule.
- Supervise Library volunteers.
- Maintain Library publication subscriptions and databases.
- Liaise with donors on book and archive donations.
- Other duties as needed.
- M.L.S. preferred or equivalent.
- 2 years minimum experience in a library or archive.
- Background in Education preferred.
- Ability to work with and give tours to the community, families, and children.
- Ability to manage multiple projects.
- Excellent research and writing skills.
- Excellent communication and time management skills.
- Advanced understanding of library collection and archival theory and best practices.
- Knowledge of how to build and refine library collections and archives.
- Intermediate knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, MS Word/Excel/Outlook.
- Understanding of contracts preferred.
- Office hours may also include occasional evenings and weekends.
- Approximately 40-50 % time sitting at computer.
- Walking, reaching etc.
- Ability to lift 30 lbs.
- Noise level ranges from quiet to moderately noisy.
- Library space is not ADA compliant.
- Office is sometimes shared.
If interested, please submit cover letter and resume: firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to: The San Diego Museum of Art, Attention: Human Resources, P.O. Box 122107, San Diego, CA 92112.
The San Diego Museum of Art is committed to providing equal employment opportunity and will comply with all applicable federal, state, and local equal opportunity employment laws. The Museum prohibits discrimination against staff members or applicants on the basis of sex, race, religion, color, national origin, disability, protected medical condition, marital status, age, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, ancestry, military or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.