The San Diego Museum of Art is excited to welcome you back into the galleries. Following the guidance of health partners; county, state, and national government officials; and peer institutions, The San Diego Museum of Art is now open to the public with limited capacity and new safety measures. You can once again explore the galleries to experience great works of art with your family and friends, and take part in fun, educational activities that inspire and cultivate curiosity. Virtual offerings and online programs will continue to be offered weekly through Virtual SDMA.
The Museum is Now Open
The Museum is now open to the general public, resuming standard hours. We look forward to seeing you again at the Museum! Below you will find a guide of what you can expect when visiting the Museum, including new safety guidelines, spaces that will remain closed or have limited service, and more.
Each of us plays a role in a safe reopening and we thank you for your cooperation. Social distancing, face masks, and additional health and safety precautions are critical and will be required to visit the Museum. See our Museum hours to plan your visit.
Free Admission for First Responders
The Museum is thanking San Diego first responders and frontline workers* by offering free Museum admission through December 31, 2020.
*Museum will provide one complimentary admission for first responders and frontline workers — which are defined as healthcare professionals, protective service workers, janitors and maintenance workers, and delivery and grocery workers — with ID, business card, or other proof of employment.
Enhanced Safety Precautions
There are enhanced safety precautions in place at the Museum. These include
- Plexiglass is in place at Museum admission and retail locations.
- Credit and debit card transactions encouraged.
- Hand sanitizer is available at targeted locations.
- One-way directional arrows are in effect at select areas of the Museum.
- Water fountains are shut off.
- Handheld maps and brochures are not available. Instead, we encourage visitors to use the SDMA app, available for free from the App Store or Google Play.
- To avoid crowding around individual works of art to read the label, we’ve provided the option to read the gallery labels online.
Know Before You Go
Be prepared for your upcoming visit. New protocols are in place to make your Museum experience pleasurable and safe.
- Masks are required for all visitors over the age of two per County health guidelines.
- A non-invasive temperature check is mandatory for all guests visiting the Museum.
- Total Museum attendance is limited to less than 25 percent of full capacity. Once capacity is reached, groups and individuals will be admitted as others leave the Museum.
- Museum members receive priority Museum access.
- Coat check will not be available until further notice. Guests with bags exceeding 16x16x8 will not be permitted entry to the Museum.
- Guidelines are in effect throughout Balboa Park. Learn more about Balboa Park guidelines.
Even with all efforts and added precautions, an inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public place where people are present. Therefore, we cannot guarantee you or a member of your group will not be exposed to COVID-19 during your visit. By visiting The San Diego Museum of Art, you voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19.
The San Diego Museum of Art’s PANAMA 66 Restaurant & Bar
Panama 66 is reopening July 1 for grab-and-go food items.
Check the Panama 66 website for their latest information.