Department: Visitor Relations
Reports to: Assistant Manager of Visitor Relations
Classification: Temporary Part-Time, Non-Exempt (20-25 hours p/week)
(Assignment through August 27, 2023)
Proactively provide assistance to all visitors using accurate information regarding the Museum, its collection, special exhibitions, programs, events and other pertinent information. Work politely and professionally with Museum colleagues, partners and volunteers.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Welcome and assist visitors with professionalism and friendliness.
- Be knowledgeable with regard to the Museum’s collection, special exhibitions, programs, and events.
- Respond to problems and/or concerns expressed by Museum members or other visitors in a polite and efficient manner.
- Sell admission/program tickets including memberships, classes, and other products as required, utilizing various pricing structures, discount programs, and the Museum’s computer ticketing program.
- Demonstrate accurate and efficient cashier functions, including opening and closing procedures.
- Update attendance documents daily.
- Keep workstation clean, orderly, and stocked with brochures, Program Guides and work related materials. Maintain brochure over-stock, assuring re-order in a timely manner.
- Assist with a variety of clerical assignments, operation of the Museum’s telephone system on assigned days, or any other special projects as needed.
- Assist with surveys and marketing research as requested.
- Scan/sell tickets for special exhibition upcharges at the gallery entrance and front desk.
- Be knowledgeable on tracking promotions and admission programs, such as Explorer and Go City.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Education: AA, BA or equivalent with an interest in art preferred.
- Knowledge: Must have prior cash handling experience.
- Abilities: Ability to exercise good judgment and decision-making.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and to communicate effectively and diplomatically with staff, patrons, and vendors is vital.
- Ability to be culturally sensitive and respect diversity.
- Ability to think creatively and be a team player.
- Skills: Bi-lingual in Spanish preferred.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Customer service skills are essential.
- Computer literate with experience using Microsoft Work, Outlook and Excel.
- Other: Some evening and weekend hours are required. Must pass background check.
- Some carrying and lifting 30 pounds.
- 75% time spent sitting at desk.
- 25% spent outside (fair to good weather only).
- Daily walking which includes stairs.
- Interior: office space is open to the public with varying temperatures.
- External: may work at a station positioned on the front steps of the Museum, exposure to the elements.
- Noise level ranges from quiet to moderately noisy.
Salary: $17.50 per hour
APPLICATION DEADLINE: May 21, 2023
If interested, please submit cover letter and resume to: email@example.com, or mail to: The San Diego Museum of Art, Attention: Human Resources, P.O. Box 122107, San Diego, CA 92112.
The San Diego Museum of Art is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in the hiring of personnel on the basis of sex, race, religion, color, national origin, disability, protected medical condition, marital status, age, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, ancestry, military or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.