School Tours and Group Visits
School Tours and Group Visits
Docents provide guided tours for students in grades K-12 of the Museum’s permanent collection and special exhibitions. Tours include discussions as well as demonstrations of techniques and materials used by the artists. School tours fulfill the standards for Common Core.
Docent offer tours on these topics:
- Art of the Americas
- Asian Art
- Customized Tour (per teacher’s specifications)
- European (prior to 1850) *
- Modern & Contemporary Art
- Museum Highlights
- Outdoor Scuplture
- Special Exhibitions
* The Renaissance Art Cart can be incorporated into the one-hour Renaissance Art tour or may be scheduled as a 30-minute separate presentation. The Renaissance Art Cart contains a collection of objects that demonstrate Renaissance art techniques such as fresco painting, gold-leaf application, preparation of colors with pigment, and panel painting.
One-hour tours are scheduled Monday, Tuesday, Thursday at 10:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m., 12:00 p.m., 1:00 p.m., 2:00 p.m., and 3:00 p.m.; Fridays at 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. (10:00 a.m.,11:00 a.m. available on 5th Friday of the month only); Saturday at 10 a.m., 11:00 a.m., 1:00 p.m., 2:00 p.m., and 3:00 p.m.; and Sundays at 1:00 p.m., 2:00 p.m., and 3:00 p.m. No tours are available on Wednesdays or on the third Tuesday of the month. There is no charge for daily scheduled Docent-led tours.
Museum docents are available to present tours of the permanent collection and special exhibitions to adults, children, and special-interest groups. We offer 45-minute highlights tours, which focus on approximately 10 objects in the Museum, or one-hour tours on a specific theme or exhibition.
Tours in Several Languages
Tours in American Sign Language for visitors who are deaf or hard-of-hearing.
Tours in American Sign Language are available for visitors who are deaf or hard-of-hearing. Please contact Dr. James Grebl at email@example.com to reserve an ASL tour.
Young Artist's Workshop
This program offers students in grades 1 through 8 the opportunity to have practical art experience guided by the Museum’s volunteer docents. The two-hour session combines art education with an interactive gallery tour and creative art project, which fulfills the second standard of the California Department of Education Visual Arts– Common Core standards.
Young Artist's workshops – for a maximum of 30 students each are offered weekly on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., September through July. No Young Artist's Workshop's are scheduled on the third Tuesday of the month
In-School PowerPoint Presentations (Grades 1-12)
Presentations in the classroom are available by Museum docents for students in grades 1 through 12 to serve as an introduction to the Museum’s art collection. Programs are designed as an introduction and should be followed by a Museum visit. Each program is designed to fulfill the academic content standards for Visual and Performing Arts. Teachers may choose from the following presentations:
- Hey Look!: Increases students' understanding of art by teaching them how to look at a variety of artworks.
- Oh, California!: Illustrates the history of California through artworks from the Museum’s collection.
- Made in America: Traces the history of America through its art.
- Nature in the Art of Asia: Explores animals and plants, as well as Buddhist, Shinto, and Hindu themes in the Museum’s Asian art collection.