Join us for an end of summer bash at Culture & Cocktails: South Pacific! Culture & Cocktails celebrates the Oceania region, known for housing some of the world’s most diverse nations, unique wildlife, dense jungles and coastal swamps, and rich and varied art forms. Oceania consists of four sub regions: Australasia, Micronesia, Polynesia, and the Melanesia region that includes the country Papua New Guinea. Be sure the visit Art of Papua New Guinea from the Valerie Franklin Collection, to see examples of art from this region.
Enjoy tropical cocktails, live music, and performances highlighting different cultures of the South Pacific, savory eats and treats, art-making activities inspired by Papua New Guinea, and more. Bring a friend, meet someone new, and experience art in a whole new way at Culture & Cocktails!
- Savor a coconut-pineapple Pink Horchata Chi Chi signature cocktail inspired by the classic 1950s tiki rum libation complete with a new twist – horchata vodka
- Enjoy performances highlighting the various dance styles from the Polynesian islands of Tahiti, Hawaii, and New Zealand by Motu Nehenehe Polynesian Dancers
- A common form of Melanesian jewelry, kapkap (circular shell discs), are valuable ornaments used for battles and acted as symbols of wealth and status during festivals. Find inspiration in The Art of Papua New Guinea and use shells to create your own kapkap accessory.
- Part smoothie, part milkshake, blended to perfection and served in a pineapple. Pineapple Crush will be serving up two refreshing options available for purchase.
- Feeling hungry? Sprinkles Cupcakes are giving sweet samplings of their most popular flavors including Sprinkle, Lemon Coconut, Dark Chocolate, Red Velvet, and Banana, and Temaki Express Truck will have their signature bowls, chicken salads, acai bowls, and more available for purchase.
- DJ Carlo is making his Culture & Cocktails debut with an extensive collection of tropical music, from vintage 1950’s tiki classics such as Martin Denny and Les Baxter, mixed with modern music
- Get your very own airbrush tattoo inspired by the pacific islands or a one-of-a-kind mini sculpture created by Recycled Palm Leaf artist William J Dorsett
- Local jewelry artist Sheri Liebert will showcase her new Tahitian collection and other designs inspired by the South Pacific
Featured (left to right): Malagan plaque, 19th Century. Wood. Valerie Franklin Collection. | Mask (lor), 19th Century. Wood. Valerie Franklin Collection. | Canoe prow shield with mask, 19th-20th Century. Wood. Valerie Franklin Collection.
ONLINE TICKETING HAS CLOSED. A limited number of tickets will be available for purchase tonight at 5:o0 p.m.
Purchased at the door (day of): $10 members / $35 nonmembers
- 21+ event. IDs required for entry—no exceptions.
- Entrance to Culture & Cocktails is first-come, first-served.
- A limited number of presale e-tickets are available online until capacity has been reached.
- Membership does not guarantee discounted tickets or entrance to this event.
- Members and attendees must have an e-ticket (digital or printed) and valid ID for entry.
- Online ticketing closes at 2:00 p.m. the day of the event.
- Bags may be subject to inspection.
- No refunds or exchanges.
- Read more on the Culture & Cocktails FAQ.
Not a member? Join today for discounted access to Culture & Cocktails and more.
Gallery Collective VIP Lounge
Join the artfully social for a VIP experience at Culture & Cocktails with the Gallery Collective!
Gallery Collective members enjoy complimentary tickets (2 with registration), an exclusive entrance line, and access to a private VIP Lounge with an open bar exclusively for members of the Gallery Collective and their guests. Malahat Spirits Co. is hosting a signature cocktail exclusively for members of the Gallery Collective featuring Malahat’s award-winning rum spirits. Interested in joining, upgrading your membership, or want more information? Contact Lilli-Mari Andresen, Manager of Circle and Gallery Donor Programs, at email@example.com.