Friday, December 4
5:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
Masters of Photography: The Garner Collection comprises iconic images by some of the most famous photographers from the 20th century to the present, including Ansel Adams, Minor White, Berenice Abbott, Margaret Bourke-White, Henri Cartier-Bresson, Frank Eugene, and Gregory Crewdson. The exhibition presents a broad sampling from the substantial holdings of local collectors Cam and Wanda Garner, and is grouped thematically into three sections: Reflections on Nature, Things As They Are, and Manipulating Reality. This group of pictures, diverse in subject, style, photographic medium, and chronology, presents an occasion to reflect on photography’s role in history and society, and to consider its future trajectory.
Join us as panelists discuss the curation of a photography collection using examples from this exceptional collection.
- Roxana Velásquez, Maruja Baldwin Executive Director, The San Diego Museum of Art
- Cory Woodall, Assistant Curator, The San Diego Museum of Art, and Curator of Masters of Photography: The Garner Collection
- Cam Garner, Collector, The Cam and Wanda Garner Collection
- Michael Mulno, Curator, The Cam and Wanda Garner Collection
- Arpad Kovacs, Assistant Curator, Department of Photographs, J. Paul Getty Museum
Masters of Photography: The Garner Collection will be on view upon the Museum’s reopening.
Reserve your spot by clicking on this link. All participants will receive the viewing link and instructions via email once you secure your place. Space is limited.
For information on renewing or upgrading your membership, please call 619.696.1941.