Friday, March 15
Museum front steps
Celebrate the beauty and diversity of the Asian Arts collections during the Museum’s On the Steps event! Enjoy FREE Museum admission from 5:00–8:00 p.m., plus artmaking activities, live performances, and artists from San Diego’s Japanese, Chinese, and Korean communities.
– Korean paper arts & ceramics with the House of Korea at Balboa Park
– Chinese ink painting with Confucius Institute at San Diego State University
– Ikebana demonstrations and bonsai with Sharon Bristow at the Japanese booth
– Hands-on art making activities for families and children with the San Diego Museum of Art
– Japanese Koto and Shakuhachi flute performance by Kyoko Takeda and Jon Crick.
– Solo Japanese Koto performance by Reiko Obata.
– Japanese Taiko drum performance featuring Naruwan Taiko of San Diego
– Performances by Confucius Institute at San Diego State University, including Tai Chi Kung Fu and the guzheng
– Performances by San Diego Korean Pungmul Institute / 샌디에고 한국풍물학교
After the event, join us in the auditorium for a 8:00 p.m. screening of Zhang Yimou’s critically acclaimed film Hero (2002). Separate film screening admission required.