This position is now closed.
Title: Summer Youth Art Programs Lead Assistant
Position: Education Department
Classification: Part-Time, Temporary Non-Exempt (Seasonal 5 weeks) Summer Camp: July 16th– August 17th
Reports To: Coordinator, Educator and Student Programs
Job Summary: The Summer Youth Programs Lead Assistant is an integral staff member of The San Diego Museum of Art’s Summer Youth Programs team. The programs are held in Balboa Park, within the Museum galleries and classrooms located at the Museum Art School. The Lead Assistant provides administrative support to the active summer program and shares a large responsibility for its front-line operation. The position requires positive interaction, in person and/or by telephone with elementary, middle, and high school-aged youth, their parents/guardians, vendors, suppliers, other Museum staff, and Park visitors.
The Lead Assistant is responsible for participating in a pre-program training day early July 2018.
- Assists the camp hosts and staff with the maintenance of all record keeping for participants, parents/guardians, and staff
- Maintains various calendars and alert systems pertaining to the management of the program
- Answer telephones and directs callers to appropriate resources
- Maintains daily attendance/sign-in records for participants and parent pick-up/sign-out records
- Other duties as assigned by the camp hosts
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills, including a demonstrated ability to speak and write clearly and effectively and the ability to project a warm and welcoming attitude toward children, families, visitors, and peers
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills, including attention to detail and superior follow-up skills
- Capacity to take direction, work independently, and be a team player
- Flexibility to adapt to emerging needs and changing priorities, and the ability to successfully handle multiple projects at once
- Proficient computer skills, including MS Word, MS Excel; data entry experience preferred
- Demonstrate ability to work with the following: under-served audiences, audiences new to the Museum, diverse audiences where English is the second language
- Must pass background and finger printing clearance
Required Education and Other Factors:
Associates degree or better, or commensurate prior relevant experience; Prior experience working in summer program for youth; Proficient computer skills, including MS Word, MS Excel; data entry experience preferred; Valid driver’s license required.
First Aid and CPR certification preferred.
Ability to work independently and exercise good judgment. Creative, enthusiastic, and responsible team player. Detail oriented, patient, and flexible. Ability to work in culturally sensitive ways and respect diversity. Bilingual in Spanish preferred.
Strong skills in communication. Effective organizational and administrative skills.
Some carrying and lifting up to 30 Pounds.
Daily walking from the Museum to MAS (Museum Art School), which include stairs and parking lots.
Office space is located in the basement of the House of Hospitality in Balboa Park. Noise level ranges from quiet to moderately noisy.
All interested candidates must apply before: noon on Friday, June 15, 2018
If interested, please submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
San Diego Museum of Art is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in the hiring of personnel on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender, age, Vietnam Era Veteran or Disabled Veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or any other protected status as provided by law.