Virtual SDMA+ are unique online experiences offered by The San Diego Museum of Art in collaboration with other local arts institutions to inspire a robust appreciation of the arts and a deeper exploration of the SDMA permanent collection.
Virtual SDMA+ brings the joy and collaboration of SDMA+ online!
Virtual SDMA+ performances are shared via SDMA YouTube.
- Virtual SDMA+ Art of Elan: Identities – January 22 – Enjoy a musical reflection on the work of Spanish artist Ana de Alvear, whose work shifts perceptions and perspectives in a way that’s both subtle and transformative. A “search for identity” pervades her multifaceted projects, explored through this engaging online performance by Art of Elan musicians featuring the haunting “Spectra” for violin, viola, and cello by Icelandic composer Anna Thorvaldsdottir.
- Virtual SDMA+ San Diego Shakespeare Society: Romantic ArtStops – February 14 – Join performers from the San Diego Shakespeare Society as they lead you through a magical tour of some of the Museum’s most romantic works, paired with beloved sonnets and passages from Shakespeare’s plays.
- Virtual SDMA+ Art of Elan Pop-up Performance: Abstraction and Allegory – February 19 –Tied to the thoughtful works of photographic art in Masters of Photography: The Garner Collection, this special 15-minute pop-up performance takes a closer look at the power of transformation, featuring “Advice from a Caterpillar” for bass clarinet by South Korean composer Unsuk Chin.
- Virtual SDMA+ Disco Riot: Masters of Photography – March 9 – Experience the stunning juxtaposition of art and dance in this moving solo modern dance performance inspired by works in the Masters of Photography exhibition. The dance will be performed by Guillermo Castro, and is choreographed by Zaquia Mahler Salinas, Artistic Director of Disco Riot.
- Virtual SDMA+ San Diego Youth Symphony – March 23 – Watch as talented students from the San Diego Youth Symphony deftly pair pieces of classical music with works from the Museum’s permanent collection.
- Virtual SDMA+ San Diego Opera – April 6 – The pastoral romance of the Museum’s Plein Air exhibition is evoked in these performances by the San Diego Opera.
- Virtual SDMA+ Natesha School of Bharatanatyam – April 13 – See the stories, characters, and themes from the Museum’s celebrated Edwin Binney 3rd collection spring to life with these energetic and dynamic performances by Natesha School of Bharatanatyam.
- Virtual SDMA+ The San Diego Ballet – May 11 – Dancers from the San Diego Ballet perform breathtaking pieces inspired by the Museum’s exhibition Masters of Photography: The Garner Collection.
Meet our Partners
Art of Elan
Virtual SDMA+ Art of Elan is a series of short online experiences pairing The San Diego Museum of Art permanent collection with the thoughtfully curated music of Art of Elan. Building on the 13-year partnership between the two arts organizations, the video series features short musical responses to works of art that are meant to inspire and uplift the community.
Courtly Noyse performs lively Renaissance music with a trademark blend of humor, imagination, and versatility. The group has performed together and throughout San Diego since 2003.
Virtual SDMA+ Courtly Noyse features Jay Sacks on recorders and cornetto, plus singing tenor; Laury Flora playing bowed psaltery, recorders, krummhorns, and cornetto, and singing; Victoria Jenkins on drums, recorders, krummhorns, and glockenspiel, plus singing soprano; John Cassaboom playing recorders and mandolin, plus singing bass; and Sandra Stram on viola da gamba, recorders, finger cymbals, and krummhorn, plus singing harmony.
DISCO RIOT exists to elevate a collaborative art culture in San Diego and beyond—because the world needs more movement-based art. The group aims to grow social consciousness and connection through collaborative, thought-provoking movement-based arts in San Diego.
Natesha School of Bharatanatyam
Natesha School of Bharatanatyam is an Indian classical dance school based in Poway since 2001. Suman Nayak, the artistic director of Natesha, is a talented bharatanatyam dancer and an accomplished teacher. The school currently has about 70 students and has successfully trained several talented dancers into skilled performers over the past 19 years.
Virtual SDMA + Natesha School of Bharatanatyam will feature Suman Nayak, the artistic director of Natesha, and the students of Natesha presenting four performances based on the elephant-themed collection of Indian paintings and sculptures at SDMA.
The San Diego Shakespeare Society
Virtual SDMA+ The San Diego Shakespeare Society is a series of video performances featuring monologues from great works of Shakespeare in response to selections from the SDMA collection.
The San Diego Museum of Art traditionally works with The San Diego Shakespeare Society throughout the year featuring seasonal SDMA ArtStops. The San Diego Shakespeare Society performs year round with the goal of demonstrating the relevance, immediacy, and accessibility of Shakespeare’s works for the general public.
San Diego Youth Symphony and Conservatory
Virtual SDMA+ San Diego Youth Symphony features students from San Diego Youth Symphony choosing a work from the SDMA collection that they pair with a piece of music. These students are phenomenally talented!
See past Virtual SDMA+ performances on SDMA YouTube.
Explore all the ways you can experience The Museum from home at Virtual SDMA.
Featured: Ivan Messenger. Moment Musical, undated. Lithograph. Museum purchase with funds provided by Alice Klauber. 1948.10.