Department: Museum Store
Reports To: Assistant Manager, Museum Stores
Classification: Part Time, Non-Exempt (Approx. 20–25 hours a week)
The Museum Stores Sales Associate is an integral staff member of The San Diego Museum of Art’s Store team. This is a part-time position that proactively engages museum patrons and assists them with their purchases. The successful candidate also answers queries asked by our customers about museum exhibitions, lectures and events, and helps ensure that the visitor experience remains at the highest level.
- Assisting customers and conducting sales.
- Keeping the store fully stocked at all times.
- Keeping up to date on back stock.
- Keeping the store organized, clean and tidy at all times.
- Opening the store in the morning which includes:
- Counting starter money
- Opening the register
- Restocking bags and other cash wrap supplies
- Restocking merchandise
- Handling all the cash transactions
- Closing the store at the end of the day which includes:
- Counting and balancing the cash drawer and profits
- Creating sales reports for the day’s sales
- Running end of day reports
- Keeping apprised of new merchandise including books, jewelry, prints, and gifts.
- Maintaining a friendly, helpful attitude.
- Assisting with tagging and placing merchandise.
- Assisting with data entry.
- Assist with stockroom duties as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Abilities: Ability to exercise good judgment and decision-making. Ability to work effectively under pressure and to communicate effectively and diplomatically with staff, patrons, and vendors is vital. Ability to be culturally sensitive and respect diversity. Ability to think creatively and be a team player.
- Skills: Excellent communication skills. Customer service skills are essential. Computer literate with experience using Microsoft Work, Outlook and Excel. Bi-lingual in Spanish preferred.
- Education: An interest in art. AA, BA or equivalent, preferred, but not required,
- Knowledge: Must have prior cash handling experience. Knowledge of art and art history a plus.
- Other: Evening and weekend hours are required. Must pass background check.
- Some carrying and lifting up to 35 pounds.
- Daily walking to, from, and within the Museum, which includes stairs and parking lots.
- Interior: office space is open to the public with varying temperatures.
- External: may work at a station positioned in the exterior of the building, exposure to the elements.
- Noise level ranges from quiet to moderately noisy.
If interested, please submit cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to: The San Diego Museum of Art, Attention: Human Resources, P.O. Box 122107, San Diego, CA 92112.
The San Diego Museum of Art is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in the hiring of personnel on the basis of sex, race, religion, color, national origin, disability, protected medical condition, marital status, age, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, ancestry, military or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.