Teens are always free.
The San Diego Museum of Art offers free admission to youth ages 17 and under. Children younger than 14 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian (age 18 years or older) at all times. We request one adult chaperone for every ten children under the age of 15.
Teen Opportunities at the Museum
Guided tours exploring art and contemporary themes are available for free daily. Tours are led by highly trained Museum docents and provide a wonderful opportunity to learn more about the art on view in the Museum alongside family and friends. See the guided tour schedule online for upcoming guided tour topics and sign up for guided tours the day of your visit at the Visitor Relations desk or Docent desk, both located near the Museum entrance. Same-day registration is required. Space is limited.
Teen Opportunities Online
SDMA Art Tutorials
Learn from anywhere with SDMA Art Tutorials, a series of instructional videos that demonstrate a new art skill, technique, or material inspired by works of art in the Museum’s permanent collection. Explore the SDMA Art Tutorials.
At-Home Art Activities
Explore at-home activities for emerging and established art students of all ages with SDMA at Play where Museum educators share art activities, crafts, writing prompts, videos, podcasts, and more inspired by the SDMA collections. Create something new with SDMA at Play.
San Diego Museum of Art Teen Council
The San Diego Museum of Art’s Teen Council gives high school students the opportunity to take on a leadership role at the Museum and lend their voices to new and existing programs and offerings. Students work with Museum staff and their peers to share ideas, develop youth events, and programming; lend their own expertise to the Museum; and participate in unique behind the scenes experiences. Meetings are held quarterly via an online platform.
For questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
2020-2021 School Year
Application deadline is now closed.
Applicants moving on to the orientation will be notified by October 19, 2020. Only complete applications will be considered.
Please turn in the Participant Waiver form with your Teen Council Application to email@example.com.
What do we do?
- Teen council members meet three times a school year with Museum educators and Education Department staff to discuss and share ideas on teen programming.
- Special opportunities to win prizes when participating in contests.
- Go behind the scenes in exclusive opportunities.
- Create exclusive art making projects in the Museum.
What will you get out of the experience?
- Opportunity to share your voice and help build program for teens by teens.
- Make friends and meet artists.
- Develop leadership skills and add experience to college applications.
- Become part of the SDMA Museum team.
How much time do I have to commit?
- Required: 6 hours a school year (meetings only).
- Optional hours: Teen Art Café events, special programs, Museum visits on one’s own time.
How do I get started?
- Send in a completed application.
- If selected, attend the first meeting on October 26, 2020.
- If not selected, sign up to the Teen Art Café email list and attend fun, free, teen-only events!