Under the direction of the Security Manager, assists in planning, directing, and managing the Gallery Attendant staff to ensure the protection, security, and safety of the building, Permanent Collection, staff, and visitors.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervises and evaluates performance of Gallery Attendants.
- Trains attendants ensuring their compliance with policies and procedures.
- Writes formal performance evaluations in a timely manner.
- Counsels and initiates disciplinary action as required.
- Patrols museum galleries, regulating and controlling traffic though the galleries and ensuring the smooth operating of special events, previews and receptions.
- Provides excellent customer service to guests and staff while helping to ensure their safety and enjoyment while at the Museum. Observes and assists visitors; correcting and reporting problems as appropriate. Informs visitors of rules, regulations, and proper conduct while onsite.
- Observes artwork for changes of any kind; reporting problems to supervisor for immediate notification to registrarial staff. Reports any building condition requiring attention to maintenance.
- Cooperates with Visitor Services, Membership, and Education to learn and convey Museum information and enhance visitor’s Museum experience.
- Maintains knowledge of current policies, procedures, and security system operation in order to correctly implement judgment and actions for protecting the art, securing the facilities, and maintaining the safety and protection of Museum staff and visitors.
- Reports emergencies and responds to calls for emergency assistance.
- Participates in training programs for emergency situations including fire, theft, and vandalism. Assists with emergency situations and/or building evacuations.
- Investigates situations and writes incident reports detailing said situations.
- Utilizes communications equipment to maintain contact with security control.
- Coordinates with Security Manager on security needs for all museums events and activities; plans, schedules, assigns, and reviews gallery attendants.
- Assists in developing, implementing and monitoring a comprehensive and on-going security program designed to protect and safeguard the museum and its collection in a broad range of areas including but not limited to theft, vandalism, fire, and natural disaster.
- Participates in guarding the facility, if necessary, and other duties as assigned by the Security Manager.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School graduate, GED or equivalent work experience required.
- One year experience in Security field in cultural institutions, preferably in a museum.
- Basic knowledge of intrusion systems, electronic door access and security management software.
- CPR/AED/First Aid training preferred.
- Ability to walk and/or stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to exercise excellent judgment and decision-making by carrying out established policies and procedures for security and safety of people, artwork, and museum facilities.
- Ability to see details at both close range and long distance.
- Ability to be culturally sensitive and respect diversity.
- Approximately 60% of time is spent standing or moving around museum galleries and outdoor premises.
- Approximately 40% of time spent at the computer or completing other office work.
- Clear diction and acute hearing are necessary for effective communication with Museum staff and the public, by telephone and in person.
- Corrected vision close to 20/20 is necessary to perform this job.
- Excellent customer service and communication skills.
- Effective written and verbal communicate skills.
- Excellent leadership skills.
- Bilingual in Spanish or other language preferred.
- Must be able to pass pre-employment and drug screening test.
- Professional appearance and exceptional grooming are required. Must be flexible with hours including some weekends and evenings.
- Work area is inside a museum or outdoor premises.
- Climate controlled environment with light background noise.
If interested, please send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to:email@example.com OR mail information to San Diego Museum of Art, Human Resources, P.O. Box 122107, San Diego, CA 92112-2107. No phone calls, please.
This position closes July 23, 2014.