December 1–December 31
Closed Wednesdays, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day
Open Wednesday, December 28
Visit the Museum with loved ones this holiday season to be inspired by art and discover new treasures. Enjoy art, food, and shopping, plus see the Museum rotunda adorned with festive decor throughout December.
- Holiday Shopping: Find your own work of art to take home from The Museum Store. All proceeds benefit the Museum’s year-round schedule of exhibitions and educational programs. See what’s new at The Museum Store.
- December Nights returns to Balboa Park December 2 and 3. The Museum is closed during the day, but open and free to the public from 5:00–9:00 p.m. both evenings. Enjoy the Museum at night as we celebrate December Nights in Balboa Park. Please note, the exhibitions Sergio Hernández: Embers of Oaxaca and Justin Sterling: Chapel of the Rocks will be closed during December Nights.
- Winter Wonderland Member Shopping Event: Join us Wednesday, December 7, 4:00–7:00 p.m. for a festive, after-hours, members-only holiday shopping experience. Learn more and RSVP for the event.
- Artisan Showcase: Visit The Museum Store Saturday, December 10, for a special artisan showcase featuring one-of-a-kind jewelry items from Sheri Liebert.
- SDMA+ Courtly Noyse Concert: Join Courtly Noyse performers on Saturday, December 17 at 2:00 p.m. for a holiday concert of lively Renaissance and Medieval music surrounded by the Museum’s collection of Renaissance and Baroque masterpieces in Art of Devotion, upstairs in Gallery 16. Free with Museum admission. Learn more and see program highlights.
- Dine Among Art: Enjoy outdoor dining at Panama 66, The San Diego Museum of Art restaurant located in the May S. Marcy Sculpture Court. Take in views of the Museum’s sculpture garden and enjoy local craft beers on tap, exhibitions-themed cocktails and dishes, and locally sourced seasonal sandwiches, salads, and entrees.
- Gift the Museum Experience: Tickets to the Museum make great gifts and stocking stuffers. Give the gift of art. Purchase Museum tickets online or in-person at the Museum Visitor Relations admissions desk.
- Gift Museum Membership: Share your love of the Museum and give the gift that lasts all year! Member benefits include free admission, invitation to members-only events, early access to exhibitions, complimentary access to the Art Alive 2023 floral exhibition, and discounts at The Museum Store and Panama 66 restaurant. Starting at $75, a gift membership begins a year of inspiration, experience, and art education. Gift a Museum membership.
Prepare for Your Visit
- We are located in the heart of Balboa Park with many options for parking at no cost. See the Balboa Park parking lots map for parking options.
- The Museum is great for all ages and youth 17 and under always receive free admission. Children younger than 14 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian (age 18 years or older) at all times. We request one adult chaperone for every ten children under the age of 15.
- Masks are strongly recommended for all visitors. Learn more.
- Guided tours are offered daily. Free with Museum admission.